While similar to the TrueTension™ Indicators in function, the FireGuard™ 2 reduces risk of fire or explosion by limiting energy delivery to dangerous areas of operation. This hazard-preventing tension amplifier is a critical component in assuring plant process safety.
When connected to approved DFE tension transducers and an approved meter (like the DFE 723-1420), the FireGuard™ 2 works as a complete tension indication system for your web coating or converting process.
The FireGuard™ 2 greatly reduces the risk of fire or explosion in manufacturing areas defined as Class I Division 1 or 2 by Article 500 of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and is typically used as part of a tension control or display system when tension transducers or tension readouts are installed in the areas made hazardous by flammable vapor. This could include vapor from acetylene mixtures, butadiene, ethylene oxide, propylene oxide, hydrogen mixtures, acetone, alcohol, ammonia, benzine, benzol, butane, gasoline, lacquer, varnish, solvent vapors, natural gas, propane, or similar compounds.
Each FireGuard™ 2 serves as an energy-limiting power supply to tension transducers and is easily adjusted with its Quik-Cal™ push-button zero and calibration circuitry. The signal outputs to non-hazardous areas include a 0-10 VDC undamped, isolated output, a 4-20 mA undamped, isolated output and a 0-1 mA damped output for use with a tension meter.
The FireGuard™ 2's dual calibration feature allows calibration of a single pair of tension transducers for operation over two different ranges. A removable steel cover protects and provides easy access to the terminal blocks for all electrical connections. The FireGuard™ 2 can be mounted to a machine structure or wall through flange mounting holes in the top and bottom edge of the enclosure.
The FireGuard™ 2 is a UL-listed device, and can be used as an upgrade or replacement to the original, now discontinued FireGuard™.
Note: The FireGuard™ 2 input voltage is 24 VDC @ 500 mA, while the original FireGuard™ input voltage was 115/230 VAC.
• Use as an amplifier or control interface in potentially hazardous areas
• Reduces risk of fire and explosion
• Can be coupled with a closed-loop controller, PLC, drive, display meter or data logger
• 24 VDC power input
• 0-10 VDC isolated, undamped output to the non-hazardous area
• 4-20 mA isolated, undamped output to non-hazardous area
• 0-1 mA damped output for tension meter, non-hazardous area
• 5 VDC current-limited power supply for optional digital meter, non-hazardous area
• 0-1mA damped output for tension meter, energy limited to hazardous area
• 5V/10V power supply for tension transducers, energy limited to hazardous area
• Quik-Cal™ push-button Zero and Calibration
• Dual Calibration feature allows for 2nd calibration setting, may require optional dual meter scale for meter
• NEMA1 protective steel enclosure with cover
• Status LED